Monday, April 29, 2013

Fruit Fly's and how I deal with them




We spend hours and hours searching for the perfect produce for our family, get it home wash it, and put it in pretty bowls and feel like Supermom or maybe just I feel like Supermom. Then within a few days the fruit flies are swarming the kitchen. Not only do these little things annoy the crap out of me, in my mind they are little dollar signs swarming around.....this is worse than sweating because I am too cheap to run the air conditioning in Texas when it's 80 degrees in April. Talking about Texas heat how about this for refreshing!







I don't really deal with fruit flies, I just prevent them from attacking my kitchen. 

So how I do this is basically gather up all my not so fresh produce, in this case strawberries that are too far gone to even freeze for smoothies. I cut off the greenery and depending on how much time I have, with strawberries I will cut out the hard white center, only because my sad personal blender doesn't chop these up at all. I load up as many berries as I can get into the cup and then add a little water to help everything blend well.

I have used this technique for all kinds of berries, and have been known to make combo's like strawberry-mint, raspberry-basil, straight up strawberry, straight up banana...I guess these are my favorites and the ones most commonly found at my house.





Next I just blend away until there are tiny bits of fruit and everything is basically pureed. If your blender is like mine, it doesn't like too thick puree so you may need to add a little more water.













This is the consistency that I typically aim for but if it's thinner I don't get too upset. Just go with it and it will still work out great.







Everyone who thought I was crazy at the last hoarder's sale as I was scooping up the ice cube trays.....who's wishing they had grabbed a few up now.

I pour the pureed combination into ice cube trays trying my best not to over fill any of the individual cubes. I did poorly at this because I had a big chunk of strawberry fall right into the one as I was about to call it full enough. But it's perfect enough. You can see I only had enough to fill 11 cubes, so I just put some water in the blender cup swirled it around and poured it in the last cube (top right if you are having trouble..I can never find the obvious so I figured I would tell the other obvious challenged folks like myself).

Put the tray, or trays in the freezer until they are frozen. Once frozen you can pop them out and store in freezer bags, labeled of course...or you could just walk on the wild side and choose to not label any.

I like to take these out and add them to water on a hot day. I have also been known to throw these into the blender when I am short on fruit for my smoothie. This is a great way to flavor your water without any of those little stick packets...I admit I do have a glass of those little sticks on my counter lingering from before I was trying to be more aware of what I was feeding my family. I can't bring myself to waste these and will use them eventually because you know they never expire, there is a best by date but they are still good by my taste after that date. That should have been the dead giveaway that these should not be consumed by my family that I love, but did I mention I was obviously challenged.


I didn't think this needed a printable recipe link, but if you would like one I will be happy to create one. Just drop me a line and let me know you would like one. I also want to hear your favorite combos to battle the heat, I am going to wait as long as possible before turning on my air conditioning this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment