Sunday, April 7, 2013

Apples and TV...they just go together

The week has been exceptionally crazy, but some of it I may have brought on myself. The quick story is Tuesday evening after some of the worst customer service from our cable provider, I turned the cable service off at both my own and my mother's house.

Had I been thinking and not acted rash, I would have realized that left my less than 24 hours to determine what I was going to do and do it quickly so that the herd would be able to watch their favorite show Wednesday evening. Wednesdays are crazy long days and having technologically challenged parents did not help that day go any faster. So desperate times call for desperate acts.....and I decided I would find a way that would allow the herd to watch their favorite shows and I not be required to deal with awful customer service, because mindlessly watching TV is the herd's favorite past time. Hello Apple TV, I sure hadn't ever planned to buy one but now I wish I had oh so long ago.

There it is the tiny black box that saved
 my sanity!

A little about Apple TV in case you are like me and hadn't ever paid any attention to it, hey if it ain't broke why fix it is my motto. First you need a Wi-Fi....check I already had one. Next and I didn't know this until I went to plug it in, your TV needs to have an HDMI slot. Well if you are like me and have the mega I will herniate you if you try to move me box TV.....you better start begging to borrow one...in my case I had my eyes set on my son's TV. Pretty much I said you are grounded from your TV for so long for poor behavior that I am going to use it until I decide to buy a new one. Third you need an iTunes account...well if you are buying an Apple TV you probably have at least an iPhone. Last you don't need one but I recommend a hulu plus account....it's 7.99 such a small price for my sanity. If your on the fence you can see if a free account is more to your liking and in your budget. A side note is if you do not already have the iTunes Match, it is worth it unless you have a monstrous hard drive, which I do not so I gladly paid for the match.
As with any Apple product you better believe the user interface is top notch and this one does not disappoint. My phone picture is pretty terrible but my camera picture was worse with the glare off the screen. This is the home screen in case you haven't seen it. So far there hasn't been any time where there isn't something to watch, and I get to watch some of my all time favorite shows that have long been cancelled. One of the things I have learned is that the shows that are available free on the web, can be seen on the TV through airplay sharing. I haven't tackled this yet as there is no shortage of things to soak up my day.


In the spirit of Apple and as a way to celebrate my break from horrible customer service I decided that I needed to have a really great apple recipe to share with you. So I made one of my all time favorite things...well I have a lot of favorite foods, but if there is a choice I will always go for apple cobbler. So here is my super quick way to make your own apple cobbler.

Ingredients:
3 medium apples (I used red delicious ones that were getting wrinkly on my counter)
1 tablespoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup butter
1 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup milk

First core, peel (only if you prefer, I didn't), and chop the apples. Add 1 tablespoon of cinnamon and 2 tablespoons of sugar to the apples and let them sit while you make the batter. To make the batter melt the butter in a 9"x9" or similar sized baking dish. I use the microwave and while it's working mix the flour, baking powder, sugar, and milk in a glass bowl until it's smooth. Once smooth pour this directly onto the melted butter. Pour the apples directly on top of the batter. Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown.

 
 


I eat this straight up without any toppings, but feel free to add some vanilla ice cream on top!

For printable recipe click here.



No comments:

Post a Comment