Sunday, March 24, 2013

My Favorite Pound Cake

After a few warmer than usual days, today was not so warm and windy cold. Cold as in I had to get my coat and scarf to leave the house, cold as in my heat is on high in the truck, cold as in can I just get in bed and stay there! Cold as in it's a perfect day to think about summer while baking to warm up the house; when I think of summer I think of strawberry shortcake. Well it's only shortcake in spirit because I hate shortcake, but I sure do love poundcake especially light fluffy melt in your mouth poundcake. This one dish no matter where or when I eat it takes me to summer nights sitting on the patio with family and friends. Perfection!


I truly have never shared this recipe before, I have even hid the original recipe from my family to ensure that no one else would ever show up with the same dish to a potluck, because you can guarantee I will bring some type of strawberry and poundcake dessert. It is irrational but this is something that I worry about to the point that it will keep me up for several weeks knowing that a potluck is coming. But I have had my arm virtually twisted by my precious friend from design school. She is an amazing true Southern girl and has moved home to Mississippi, and I am in Texas....how can we have summer nights under the setting sun sharing a great summer dessert if we are so far apart.  So this is for you Angie, a truly amazing lady and true Southern Belle, we just won't think about everyone else who also have the recipe now!

Now down to the real reason we are here, the making of my favorite pound cake, this is by no means a healthy recipe so definitely enjoy in moderation.


First collect all your ingredients together, anything ingredient that is refrigerated will need to be room temperature. Everything is a basic pantry staple for most people with the exception of the cake flour and whipping cream. I have tried to substitute these for items that I typically have on hand, but once you have it this way you sure can't stand anything different. It has been so long since I tried to substitute the ingredients that I do not remember what works and what doesn't work substitution wise. If you come up with one that works, please share.

First you have to get your pan ready, I prefer using a bundt pan. Mostly because saying it makes me happy but this is also a good size recipe so you need to be prepared. I have a heavy aluminum bundt pan, which works wonderfully. I am not sure where you can purchase these, but mine came from an estate sale and was just a few dollars. If you are a bundt pan aficionado, my pan is to the right and I would love to know more about it. If you don't have one like this for years I used the cheapy one that my mother sent in UPC labels from syrup and it came in the mail....why do I remember this from so long ago...I really do not know why my brain retains so many random things. If you do not have a bundt pan or are making this with the intention of making a trifle with square pieces of pound cake you can use loaf pans. I have used 7 1/2"x 3 3/4" mini loaf pans using the same cooking time with great success. It is very important at this stage to butter and flour your pan or pans, yes you can use the spray as long as you use the one with the flour added. The outer texture will be a little different if you use the spray but not to the point of being noticeable.
 
Ever since getting a stand mixer, that is my go to piece of equipment when it comes to baking. My tip to you is never try to use your kitchen aid to attempt to break up cold butter....your whisk will get all bent up and you will have a deformed whisk for all eternity because replacing it is futile as you will do it again, maybe only I will do it again as I have bent a few lot of whisks beyond recognition with cold butter. I do have a new spare whisk for when mine becomes unrecognizable unusable. If you bend your whisk and all the wires are flattened out just do your best reshaping it and take it for a spin in your bowl to make sure it isn't hitting the bowl too bad.

Please note that when kitchen aid says
"Not Dishwasher Safe"
this isn't a suggestion it really should say if you put this in the dishwasher all the shiny pretty finish will become pitted and dull, so just don't do it. But maybe I am the only rebel out there who says I installed that dishwasher and I plan to use it for everything! In all seriousness the pitted top of the whisk and bent tines doesn't make my kitchen aid stand mixer any less of a excellent addition to my kitchen.


 

Now onto the important stuff, cream 3 sticks of butter and 3 cups of sugar together until it's light, fluffy and a pale yellow color.
Once it's light and fluffy add 3 cups of cake flour and 6 eggs alternating 1 cup of flour and 2 eggs until all the flour and eggs are incorporated and well mixed.
 
After the eggs and flour are incorporated and well mixed add 3tablespoons of vanilla extract. This is going to look like a lot, but trust me you will love the end result. After adding the vanilla mix on medium speed for 2 minutes or until the vanilla is incorporated throughout.

 
 
After everything is mixed together you should notice that the batter is getting lighter and fluffier. Add 1 cup of heavy whipping cream and mix for another minute. You may need to use a spatula to incorporate the cream at the beginning as it tends to splatter a lot. I just begin on low speed and work my way up to a medium speed. This will be very quick as once the whipping cream is added you are going to mix the batter for only 1 minute at which point this is what it should look like.

Once you have everything mixed together pour the batter into the pan or pans of your choice.

It is very important to preheat the oven to 325 degrees fully prior to placing the pan in the center of the oven. I have found that if you have many pans it is best to space them out so that there is plenty of air flow around the pans. Once you place the cake in the oven and shut the door do not open it again for 90 minutes, not even to peek until the time is up. This will be the longest time of your life, well maybe not but I am always glued to the oven door with the light on...I guess I am afraid it may run away..not really but I still tend to watch through the door a lot more than I would even check. The world won't stop spinning if you do open the door, but the cake will be denser, heavier, and will take longer to cook.

After the timer goes off, you can open the door and you should be able to see the top of the cake is golden and the edges are browned. I always like to check with a toothpick or butter knife in a location that won't be too noticeable if this is for sharing. If it comes out clean I transfer the pans to a waiting wire rack to cool slightly. Once the cake has cooled enough that I flip the cake out of the pan onto the wire rack to cool the remainder of the way to cool completely long enough that I can cut into the cake.

 
Once the cake is cooled completely, slice into pieces and serve with some strawberries and whipped cream while dreaming of summer nights with great friends and family.

 

I hope that you love this pound cake as much as I do and make a ton of great memories with friends and family while enjoying this on summer nights. Also please don't blame me if you show up to a potluck with it and there is none left when you get through the line, I tell my family if you want some you better get through the line early!


For a printer friendly recipe click here.




No comments:

Post a Comment