Thursday, May 23, 2013

Epic fail and some Russeeean Roulette is in my future

I am always trying out some new things that seem like a great idea at the time. My downfall is that I usually give myself more credit than I should. Well here it is my fail.....or at least one of them...I have herbs hanging by dental floss in my pantry and then ordered 750 meters of bakers twine....I didn't think to read the length of the rolls just saw all the great colors and thought why not get one of each. I was definitely inspired by all the great herbed olive oils all over pinterest. Man oh man I have got to get my pindiction under control!



Well here is the outcome...a bunch of rock solid frozen chunks of coconut oil with mystery herbs in them. Well not so much mystery herbs as much as I know what I had just not which is which because I sure forgot to label the trays.







What I did to make these great little cubes was cut up fresh herbs and place a few pieces..ok its quite a few pieces into my ice cube trays. Yes these are the same ones I use for my fruit cubes that you can read about here. Once I had the herbs in the trays, I melted some coconut oil; I have really bought into using this in place of butter for so many things, but I still do love my butter.....shh don't tell my doctor he says I have high cholesterol and need to cut out the butter for good.

I would say that the cut up herbs fill about the bottom 1/3 of each cube. Once the herbs are in the trays I melted some coconut oil in a glass jar in the microwave and filled each cube only enough to cover the herbs. Once I had the coconut oil in there I just slid the trays into the freezer. Here is where I caution you to use some tape or make a note of what herbs are in each tray. If not you will have a ton of cubes and not know what is inside them. So right now I have a baggie full of cubes with unknown herbs, so I just grab a few and hope for the best. Note to self label the trays because you can't tell until you begin cooking and I really don't like dill on my beef!

I may like to think that I am supermom but this is a time when I was not on my game but just trying to keep things from going bad, because it isn't a great deal if you don't use it is my food motto!

No comments:

Post a Comment